Women around the world have grown accustomed to the conventional ways of managing their menstrual cycle: pads and tampons.
However, in recent years there has been a new wave of modern, discrete and eco-friendly menstrual product solutions. Your Moon Time is particularly forward thinking in this area. Unlike the single-use period products you find in the local supermarket, you don’t throw away a pair of Your Moon Time period underwear, reusable pad or menstrual cup after using them. Simply, wash and dry and they’re ready to use again.
The most recent wave of feminism has helped push the topic of periods and women’s health into the spotlight, instigating a much more open conversation around menstruation in the media. There has also been a change in the perception that reusable products are just a radical option used only by extreme environmentalists.
Today, more and more women are making the switch to reusable period products. We are spoilt for choice with a variety of eco-friendly period products like reusable pads, menstrual cups, and underwear. Perhaps now it is more important than ever to think about the environmental impact our period has on planet earth.
Did You Know That?
- Most women use 11,000 disposable menstrual pads and tampons in their lifetime!
- Twelve billion tampons and pads are thrown out annually, contributing to tremendous amounts of landfill waste.
- 90% of those products are made of plastic
- Pads, tampons and tampon applicators are the fifth most common plastic product found in the oceans.
- It takes between 500 and 600 for a tampon or pad to degrade in a landfill
Many traditional period products are very economical to make and to buy. This is because they are made using different kinds of synthetic materials and plastics including polyethylene plastic (the adhesive that’s used to make the pad stick to your underwear), which is also a harmful pollutant to the environment. Most tampons contain chemicals such as dioxin, chlorine and rayon. So what happens when we dispose of our single use period products? Well, they sit in landfills and these chemicals get soaked up by the earth and are released as pollution into groundwater and air. It is also important to think about the impact these substances might have on your body especially near your most sensitive areas.
1. The Cup
The reusable menstrual cup is an eco-friendly, gentle and reliable way to keep your body clean and comfortable. A menstrual cup is a good alternative to a tampon and collects up to three times as much blood . Folded and inserted like a tampon, the menstrual cup catches rather than absorbs your flow while inserted. Made out of medical grade silicone, which is considered to be environmentally friendly. The material is derived from silica, a type of sand, and will degrade back to its original state. Not to mention it is the second most abundant mineral in the Earth’s crust and one that isn’t hazardous to the environment. The menstrual cup needs emptying every twelve hours and has a lifespan of ten years. Talk about good value for money!
2. The Pad
Our reusable pads contain layers of super soft, absorbent and breathable bamboo charcoal and have a waterproof layer to prevent leaks. Used similarly to sanitary pads but instead of having an adhesive layer, they have wings with press-stud snaps that go around your underwear and absorb your flow. When they're ready to be changed, instead of tossing them, you rinse them in cold water, then add them into your laundry cycle.
Period Underwear are washable, reusable and on the rise in popularity. They are a minimal fuss, all-in-one period care solution, with built-in gusset absorbency so you don’t need to worry about using disposable pads or liners. Each style made for ultimate comfort with body-hugging, breathable and absorbent fabrics.
You will feel comfortable and stay dry with our signature four-layer technology: the moisture-wicking layer keeps you dry; the odour-controlling layer keeps you smelling fresh; an additional layer of super-absorbent fabric holds anywhere from one to four tampons-worth of fluid; and the leak-resistant barrier provides the ultimate protection.
You'll likely need several pairs per cycle, to make time for washing and drying and depending on your flow can be worn as a backup in conjunction with a menstrual cup. Fans of the panties swear you can't beat their comfort and ease of use, and they're definitely gentle on the planet.
Benefits of Using Reusable, Eco-Friendly Period Products
- Can be worn 2-3 times longer than a pad or tampon and overnight
- Can be worn by most people from light to heavy menstrual flow
- Ideal for people with an active lifestyle or travellers
- Free from vaginal dryness
- Provides protection for light bladder leaks or postpartum bleeding
Waste Free & Environmentally Friendly
- Eco friendly
- Vegan and cruelty free
- Save 11,000 disposable pads and tampons from going to landfill or polluting our waterways over your lifetime!
- Free from any harmful substances such as chlorine, fragrances, absorption agents or plastic
- hypoallergenic and is suitable for people with sensitive skin, dermatitis and allergies
- Easy to care for and clean
- Last for years with correct care
- Free from strings, wings and leaks
- You won’t need to purchase disposable period products every month.